Friday 22 May 2015

22nd May 2015

Love: despite everything, I love Liverpool Sound City. On paper/internet it really shouldn't work! It's a tiny site with at least half a dozen 'stages' crammed in, on the docks several miles out of town with poor transport services. But it does work because for the simple reason, if you don't like the music that's being played, you can go a few steps onwards and discover a different band who might be more to your liking! I also very much appreciated the provision of seating dotted around. I'm not as youthful as I used to be!
Life: so tonight I went to Sound City and saw about half a dozen bands. Some are big already, some aren't. But, apart from 2 of them, I couldn't tell you what they were called! So a hint here would be to say who you are at every opportunity and to say it clearly so people can decipher what you just said!
The two bands I can put a name to are Swans and Polar States. I was a bit disappointed with Swans, but Polar States impressed me because, despite headlining the Liverpool O2 a week or so ago, they'd been put in a tiny tent that held perhaps 50 people... but played as though they were playing to thousands! It was a really confident set and showed me why people are raving about them. However, my work colleague, Josh, is in the band so don't tell him I'm not a huge fan of the music. I think they're all excellent musicians and will probably hit it huge before the end of the year but the tunes just don't do it for me. My loss, I'm sure! 
Career: today I took a day off work and, with the bank holiday, won't be in until Tuesday now.